- Strengthen Board operations in preparation for hiring a new Executive Director
- Facilitate strategic thinking about enhanced fund development and community outreach
- Develop an Executive search process and plan.
As a result of working with the Board, Towne Group reviewed all of its nonprofit organizational documents (articles of incorporation, bylaws, policies and procedures) and assisted the Board in a thorough review and updating process. This also led to the discussion of roles and responsibilities of Board members, consultants, and staff. New position descriptions were drafted and approved. Policies and procedures were adopted including:
- Conflict of interest
- Code of Ethics
- Orientation to the Organization
- Mission, vision, values
For several months the Board, with Towne Group support, researched a variety of ways (and organizations) to raise funds. This was a change from the traditional ticket sales approach to revenue raising. A fund development plan was drafted in preparation for a new Executive Director being hired. Towne Group assisted in not only implementing the grant from the Arts Council but in conducting the grant evaluation as well as preparation of another application for support.
- Lastly, Towne Group guided Candlelight Concerts through the process of setting an executive search process that included:
- Notifying stakeholders and asking for their help
- Implementing a community outreach/media campaign to solicit resumes
- The establishment of a Search Committee with tasks and timelines including interview questions and criteria for selection.
Working together for about 15 months, Towne Group and Candlelight Concerts strengthened the organization, bringing into full compliance with current IRS regulations; developed new fundraising strategies and campaigns, recruited new Board members, and hired an Executive Director. Much of this involved the community so Candlelight reached a new level of recognition for its work.
Bridges to Housing
Preparation for Fall Leadership Retreat (Board of Directors and senior staff) and included orientation to the organization’s planning process, refining the retreat agenda, and preparing the materials to be used to support the work proposed in the agenda. Towne Group also designed the layout of the retreat space to maximize information displays, information gathering, and comfort in seating and moving around during the day-long retreat.
We facilitated the day-long retreat , capturing key issues related to every area of operation of the organization. At the end of the day, Towne Group compiled a summary that would serve as a guide for future planning.
During the retreat, there was time spent reflecting on the eventual retirement of the Executive Director as well as the leadership transition between the Board Chair and Vice Chair. As a result of the retreat, the organization decided to confirm a specific time-frame for the departure of the Executive Director including the design of a search process. As a part of that decision, leadership agreed to conduct a further organization assessment based on the findings of the retreat.
Towne Group assisted MakingChange by:
- Assessing Board operations and drafting documents for the Board that included Board roles and responsibilities, the IRS required conflict of interest statement along with a compensation policy and whistleblower procedure. An inventory of Board skills and talents was created along with an annual commitment form from which the Board could determine needs and support.
- Conducting a Leadership Retreat that involved Board and staff in a day-long sharing of every detail of the organization’s operations – programs, audiences, metrics, evaluations, projections for the future. The materials gathered for the retreat serve as a Board and staff orientation manual which can now be updated annually. The retreat also served to clarify everyone’s understanding of MakingChange operations, funding, and challenges.
- Facilitating a strategic planning process which culminated in a three-year plan approved by the Board with vision, mission, values, goals, strategies, and action plans for each of the three years that the plan covers.
- Coaching with the Executive Director and the current Board Chair and the incoming Board Chair to assure that there was a common understanding about leadership of the organization – along with detailing roles, responsibilities, and strategies for nurturing Board, staff and volunteers.